Motivational Interviewing (MI)
Motivational interviewing is a type of therapy that helps people to overcome negative feelings. The therapy sessions also allow the clients to learn how to replace negative habits and replace them with positive habits. MI is often used in mental health disorder and addiction treatment programs.
If you have an addiction or mental health disorder, our team can get you started with motivational interviewing and other treatments very soon.
How it Works
Motivational interviewing (MI) helps people to start addressing and changing the way they think and act. By doing this, they are able to start making better, healthier and safer life choices. The core goal of this type of therapy is to teach the client how to motivate themselves toward living a better, healthier lifestyle.
Techniques Used in Motivational Interviewing
Similar to many types of therapy, MI is based on conversation. You will work with your therapist to get to the core of your issues. They will be empathetic and helpful. Through open-ended conversations, you can find ways to overcome those issues and learn how to create better habits.
Some of the techniques commonly used during MI include:
- Use of open-ended questions (allows you to express yourself more)
- Practicing reflective listening (therapists is responsive and engaged in the sessions, but will listen to you throughout the sessions, as well)
- Affirmations (used to help motivate and inspire you to make changes)
- Using self-motivational statements (to help you commit to your goals and new, positive habits)
- Reframing (helps you to change the way you think about certain issues)
Knowing more about these techniques can be helpful, so you know what to expect when entering a treatment program here at the Better Tomorrow recovery center. If you have any questions about these techniques, please reach out to us today.
Motivational Interviewing Benefits
Just as with all the services we offer here at Better Tomorrow, motivational interviewing can benefit you in numerous ways. Some of these benefits include:
- Helping you to start taking responsibility for your actions
- Motivating you to create positive goals for your future
- Encouraging you to get and stay substance-free, so you can live your best life
- Helping you to work through any mental health struggles you might have
- Preparing you to be receptive to obstacles in life and learn how to overcome them
- Helping you to build better self-awareness, self-confidence, and self-trust
Motivational interviewing is often used in combination with other addiction recovery and mental health disorder treatments. If you believe that these benefits are something that you need, don’t be afraid to talk to a member of our team today. It would be our pleasure to help you get into a treatment program that includes this service.
Get Into Motivational Interviewing Today
Do you need help motivating yourself to live your best life? Do you need to overcome an addiction or mental health disorder, but don’t have the motivation to commit to a recovering lifestyle? Are you trying to stop thinking negatively? Do you want to learn healthier lifestyle tips and coping skills? If so, contact us today here at Better Tomorrow, to get into a treatment program that includes motivational interviewing.