Couples Therapy in West Palm Beach, Florida
Are you having difficulty with your partner? Maybe, you have been together for years, but recently there are some trust issues going on. It could be that you or your significant other has an addiction or mental health disorder. When this happens, it can be tough to hold the relationship together.
The good news is that couples therapy is an option for the two of you. Here at Better Tomorrow, we offer this type of therapy in all our treatment programs. We truly believe that getting the support from your partner (if you have one) is crucial to the recovery process.
Process of Couples Therapy
Generally, couples therapy here at Better Tomorrow will consist of 12 to 20 weekly sessions. Most of the time, these are done on an outpatient basis over the course of three to six months. However, the sessions can start whenever the person who has an addiction or mental health disorder admits they need help and gets into a treatment program here at our facility.
To improve the success of these sessions, therapists will:
- Instruct the partners on what to do
- Model certain healthy behaviors
- Include positive partner-building activities
- Talk about relationship commitment and trust issues
- Teaching and discussing communication skills
- Allowing each person to express their emotions
- Talking about random acts of kindness each partner does or can do for the other
- Homework assignments to practice what is learned during therapy
There may even be recovery contracts put into place during the couples therapy contract. The person who is trying to overcome the addiction may have to agree to abstain from alcohol or drugs to help build back trust with their partner. If the person has a mental health disorder, they may have to agree to continue treatment, so they can stabilize their moods.
Behavioral Couples Therapy Benefits
How do you know whether you and your partner need to attend couples therapy? Well, there are numerous benefits of this type of therapy. If you and/or your partner would like to reap these benefits, it would be a good idea to contact our team to begin attending therapy sessions. Some of these benefits include:
- Regaining trust
- Creating healthy relationship skills
- Learning to listen to one another
- Forgiving one another
- Learning how to help without enabling
- Being there for the person who is in treatment without judgment
- Expressing true feelings without interrupting each other
- Being able to see things from the other person’s perspective
As you can see, there are many ways that couples therapy can benefit you and your partner. If one or both of you struggle with an addiction or mental health disorder, couples therapy would be highly recommended.
Get Into Couples Therapy Today
Do you or your partner have an addiction or a mental health disorder? If so, there are likely trust, communication and other relationship issues. You are not alone in this. There are many other couples who have gone or are going through the same issues. Couples therapy is a service that can help each of you to heal, regain trust and build back up the relationship.
Contact us today to get into couples therapy with your significant other as soon as possible.